Thursday, March 31, 2016

My experience shooting sports photography

             We all want to shoot the best action photo and essentially capture a perfect moment of human interaction. Unfortunately, trying to shoot a quality sports photograph can be very difficult. Things like distance from the field, and the limited access at the sporting event, can make it problematic for a photographer trying to get a good shot.
The most important aspect of trying to shoot a sports event is location. Personally, I really enjoyed stepping outside of my comfort zone in order to get better photos at this event. With photography, the closer you are to someone while taking their picture, the better you can see them in the photo. At first, I tried to take photos from the bleachers, and but it wasn't capturing the action of the sporting event properly. I failed miserably. Instead, I got up from my seat and moved onto the field in order to get closer to the action taking place. Being on the sidelines moved me closer and improved my photos tremendously.
Another benefit of my move to the sidelines for the lacrosse game was my improved reactions.  Being near the action helped me predict where the action going, and I was able to focus my camera on dramatic plays. This improved my shots and I was able to snap the picture at the right time.
Having the right equipment can make a hell of a difference. My lens was not suitable for taking sports action shots, and even though I moved closer to the field, I wasn’t able to zoom in and get the shots I needed. I now know why sports photographers use such large lenses and switch between lenses during a game. Those huge lenses cost a small fortune, but it’s necessary for that profession.

Rochester High School Falcons Varsity Lacrosse playing against Lake Orion High School Dragons Varsity Lacrosse team at Rochester High School in Rochester Hills, Michigan,  Wednesday, Mar. 30, 2016. The action during the game was swift and intense as the two teams faced off that night.

Head Coach Nick Facca giving some words of advice to Varsity Lacrosse Goaltender Alex McCarthy on the sidelines at Rochester High School in Rochester Hills, Michigan,  Wednesday, Mar. 30, 2016. Facca's words of encouragement could be heard from the bleachers as he gave the team directions.

Lake Orion High School Dragons Varsity Lacrosse team celebrating a win against Rochester High School Falcons at Rochester High School in Rochester Hills, Michigan,  Wednesday, Mar. 30, 2016. The final score was 14 to 3 that night.

Lake Orion Dragons fans watching their team play against Rochester High School Falcons at Rochester High School in Rochester Hills Michigan, Wednesday, Mar. 30, 2016. The cold bleachers and chilly breeze didn't dampen their spirits, and they rang cowbells in celebration throughout the game that night.

Rochester High School Falcons facing off against Lake Orion Dragons at Rochester High School in Rochester Hills, Michigan, Wednesday, Mar. 30, 2016. The young man pictured practiced throwing and catching as he waited to retrieve any offside balls during the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment